Monday, February 14, 2011

UNIX classpath

The error that made me think about creating this blog, involved the CLASSPATH variable in UNIX, as the title suggests. My particular case involved Apache Ant (a tool that helps with building projects). The problem arose because I changed the CLASSPATH variable permanently. What can happen in that case is that the CLASSPATH might contain, for instance, an older version of a class file than is needed for the build. So my Ant did not want to execute properly because it did not like what it found in the CLASSPATH.

I have been working with UNIX quite often over the last 6 months and it seems that it is true what many programmers say: Don't set the CLASSPATH permanently!

It seems to be a better option to set it manually when compiling a java program, for example.

Just a quick thought...

Hermann Kuschke

No comments:

Post a Comment