Sunday, November 13, 2011

telnet, openssh, spc Ubuntu to Windows

I am currently doing some research on different technologies to use for controlling one machine from another or do things like copying files and folders between different machines that are on a network. In particular I am interested in different technologies that work well between Windows and Linux machines.

I was quite surprised that after struggling for quite some time last night I was still unable to copy files from a Windows machine to a machine running Ubuntu, attempting to use scp from the Ubuntu machine in order to get some files. I am sure many people will read this hoping to find the answer to the problem; however as of right now, I don't have an answer for you if you are attempting to access the Windows machine from Ubuntu and trying to copy the files and folders from the Windows machine to Ubuntu.

Fortunately I am on a home network and my network is secure and behind a firewall so I have been able to use the samba client in Ubuntu.

The samba client is pretty straight forward to use. I am not in front of my Ubuntu machine right now, but I will try to get the syntax right in the example. In my case I shared the C:\Users folder on my Windows machine. One the Ubuntu machine we can then do something like:

smbclient // -k -c "get file.txt"

This command will get the "file.txt" file from the C:\Users directory on the Windows machine and put it in the current working directory. This is just a basic example; however there is an excellent resource here.

Also, as always, feel free to let me know if I can be of any more assistance :)



Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Microsoft Dynamics GP database schema

Hi guys,

I came across a pretty good explanation of the Dynamics GP database schema (which I am sure has had a lot of you scratching your head.

Please read more about it at the link below:

Let me know if I can be of more help.



Tuesday, November 1, 2011

maxJsonLength error message

I have run into the following error message on a MS Sharepoint site more than once now and I figured it might be helpful to document it. I ran into this using PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer so my description will be relevant to that.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Error during serialization or deserialization using the JSON JavaScriptSerializer. The length of the string exceeds the value set on the maxJsonLength property.

This has to do with a setting in your web.config file.

For example the following setting restricts the json string length to 50000
<jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="500000">

Although it is not recommended that you change this setting, you could change it. Generally when this error is thrown, it means that you are doing something like trying to display too many members in a chart, or at least trying to filter a set containing too many members. Since behind the scenes the MDX still has to initially work with the whole set before filtering it, you are likely to still run into this problem even when you think that it should not cause an error.

Make sure that your filters are not passing too many members to handle, to the charts for instance.

Hope this helps a bit.

Give me a shout if you want me to be more specific.

Happy coding,